Make the perfect Christmas cookies with a hint of festive spice.
½ cup butter
½ cup light soft brown sugar
½ cup golden syrup
1½ cups plain flour
2 tsp ground mixed spice
1½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cold water
1 egg, beaten
Water to mix
Sprinkles and decorations
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Place the butter, sugar and syrup in a heavy based saucepan and melt over a medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once melted, turn off the heat.
3. Combine the flour and spices in a large bowl.
4. Dissolve the baking soda in the water in a small dish or cup then stir into the butter and syrup mixture. As soon as it is combined, pour the dry ingredients in the bowl, add the egg and stir well to combine. Cover with cling wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour to firm up.
5. Once the mixture has rested, take a third of it out of the fridge and roll out on a lightly floured board. Use tree or star cutters to make festive shapes, then carefully transfer to a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until golden. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
6. Allow to cool before decorating with icing and sprinkles.