A rich and chunky version of Chilli con Carne.
2 tbs olive oil
3 lbs diced braising steak
2 small onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1-2 tsp turmeric
3 fresh red chillies, finely chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground coriander
1-2 tsp paprika
2 beef stock cubes
3 cups boiling water to cover
2x 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
freshly ground black pepper
2x 14 oz can red kidney beans in water, rinsed
2 green peppers, diced
few sprigs fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Heat 1tbs of the oil in the Denby Cast Iron casserole and add the diced beef. Fry, stirring frequently, for a few minutes until sealed then remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the casserole dish, add the onions and fry for a minute. Turn down the heat and add the garlic, chillies and all the dried spices. Fry for another one or two minutes, ensuring they do not burn.
- Make up the stock with the water. Add the beef back to the dish and pour over the stock and the tomatoes. Season well with black pepper and bring to a gentle simmer. Turn down the heat to low, cover with the lid and allow to cook slowly for at least an hour (either in the oven or on the hob). Check occasionally and add a little more water if required.
- Once the meat is tender, stir in the beans and peppers and cook for a further 20 minutes. Turn up the heat a little to thicken the sauce.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander. Serve with fresh salsa, guacamole, sour cream and rice.