A rich and tasty vegetarian lasagna.
1 large butternut squash
1-2 tbs olive oil
8 oz ricotta
1 cup milk
freshly ground black pepper and sea salt
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
8 oz mascarpone cheese
¼ tsp ground or freshly grated nutmeg
2 handfuls fresh basil leaves, torn
8 oz pack lasagna sheets
2 cups grated mozzarella
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tbs freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Halve the squash lengthways (skin left on), remove the seeds and place on a baking tray. Drizzle with 1 tbs of the olive oil and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until just tender. Remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, gently fry the garlic in the remaining olive oil for I minute then tip in the washed spinach and stir for a minute or two until just wilted. Tip into a bowl and season with salt and pepper, then add the mascarpone, nutmeg and basil and mix well.
- Once the squash is cool enough to handle, cut off the skin. Thinly slice the hollowed out end and roughly chop the rest. Place the chopped squash into a food processor with the ricotta and milk and blend to a puree then pour into a bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Add 100ml boiling water if required to make a spoonable sauce.
- Fill a large bowl with boiling water and have some tongs ready.
- Place the large rectangular dish onto a baking tray. Spoon about a third of the squash mixture into the bottom of the dish and arrange half of the sliced squash on top, then a small handful of mozzarella.
- Dip 2 sheets of lasagna into the hot water and leave for one minute then remove with the tongs and place 1½ sheets on top of the squash filling. Top with half of the spinach filling and a handful of mozzarella. Repeat using one and a half sheets of lasagna for each layer then finish with a layer of squash filling.
- Scatter over the tomatoes, the rest of the mozzarella and the parmesan cheese and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden and bubbling around the edges. Serve with your favorite salad and some Italian bread.