A pretty way to serve a large pie for a group.
7 oz plain flour
1-2 tbs sugar
.5 cup butter
1 egg yolk
1 tbs milk for glazing
3 apples, diced
1 small orange, zest and juice
4 plums, stones removed and roughly chopped
1 cup each strawberries, raspberries and blackberries
2 tbs sugar
1 tbs sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Make the pastry by placing the flour, sugar and butter into the food processor and process for a minute until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and 2 tbs cold water and process briefly until the dough starts to clump (just a few seconds). Add a few drops more water if required then tip into a bowl and bring the dough together, pressing into a ball with your hands but do not knead the dough. Wrap in cling film and rest in the fridge for half an hour.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Peel, core and chop the apples and place in a large saucepan with the juice and zest of the orange. Add the plums and stir well to coat then cook for a couple of minutes with 1 tbs water if required until just starting to soften. Stir in 1 tbs of the sugar and set aside.
- Roll out the pastry until it’s just a little larger than the top of the Denby Large round Dish. Using a pastry wheel or knife, cut into thin strips.
- Very gently stir the strawberries, raspberries and blackberries into the apple mixture then tip all the fruit into the dish. It should fill the dish.
- Dampen the edges of the dish with a little milk then weave the strips of pastry into a criss-cross or lattice effect, allowing the ends of the pastry to fall over the edge of the dish. Trim the edges then brush with a little more milk.
- Sprinkle over the almonds and the rest of the sugar and bake for about 30 minutes until the pastry is golden and crispy. Serve with fresh cream, yogurt or ice-cream.