A warming and delicious twist to a traditional cauliflower soup.
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 4tsp harissa spice
- 1/2tsp fresh thyme
- 1 ltr vegetable stock
- 100ml double cream
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained
- Roughly chop the cauliflower, even the stalk as this is full of great flavor.
- In a large saucepan add 1 tbsp of the olive oil and gently fry the onions and garlic until soft.
- Add 2tsp of the harissa spice, fresh thyme and 3/4 of the cauliflower and continue frying for approx 5 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, simmer for 15-20 minutes until the cauliflower is soft. Leave to cool slightly before blending.
- Whilst the soup is cooking, toss the last of the cauliflower with 1 tsp of harissa spice and roast in the oven until soft. About 200°C / 180°C fan / Gas 5.
- Pop the drained chickpeas into a frying pan and cook over a medium heat until they start to char a little. Add the tsp of the harissa spice and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Blend the cooled soup until smooth with the double cream and add a little salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, spoon the soup into bowls, top with the roasted cauliflower, charred chickpeas and a little thyme.